I am currently only taking local orders!
Please check the calendar for openings.
Thank you for your support!

Friday, May 7, 2010

TMNT Cake

I remember watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles growing up. I liked it too. So, at least I had some images in mind when Christy asked me to do a TMNT birthday cake for her little boy Lincoln.
There are a few examples of this cake floating around the web. I thought it was awesome, so I copied it, with a few changes. I was a little apprehensive about the project, but I think it turned out well.

The manhole cover is based on a NYC sewer one, and it definitely took some time. I dusted the black fondant with some edible metallic dust to make it look worn.

I learned a few things, since this was my first fondant-covered sculpted cake. One, make sure you have enough fondant before you start. Two, think things through before you cover everything in fondant. I had to do some "brain surgery" on this guy because I forgot to cut the back of his head at a slant so the cover would sit right. All in all, It was a success. Happy Birthday Lincoln!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake! Where did you find the metallic dust? And for the lid, did you cut each piece out?

    ReplyDelete